Rotaract is an organisation of young adults above the age of 18 who come together to develop their leadership and professional skills while using innovative solutions to solve the problems of the communities they live in and the world at large through their membership in Rotary International.
Members of the organisation are known as Rotaractors and they are organised in clubs that consist of 10 or more members with a leadership structure which has a president at the top changing every Rotary year [which runs from July 01 to June 30].
Rotaract has a motto “Self Development – Fellowship Through Service”. Rotaract has 5 goals for its existence and they are usually achieved by the Rotaractors in a sequential manner. The goals in order are;
1) To develop Professional and Leadership skills;
2) To emphasise respect for the rights of others and promote ethical standards and dignity of all useful occupations;
3) To provide opportunities for young people to address the needs and concerns of the community and our world;
4) To provide Opportunities for working in cooperation with sponsoring Rotary Clubs; and
5) To motivate young people for eventual membership in Rotary. Ultimately, the end result of one’s Rotaract Membership is the eventual membership in Rotary where professionalism and leadership are further bettered.
Rotaract in Rotary International District 9214 is made up of over 84 clubs with over 1500 members from the whole of Tanzania and part of Uganda, hence the name RID 9214 Tanzania & Uganda.
Rotaract Clubs have traditionally been started and hence sponsored by Rotary Clubs [which usually have the older generation of members], and many Rotary Clubs in a given geographical area are organised into Rotary International Districts (like District 9214 Tanzania & Uganda)
The membership of Rotaract in District 9214 is rather diverse with an almost equal ratio of male to female; we have diversity in professions from teachers, engineers, medical workers, IT specialists, entrepreneurs, students and what have you. The ages of Rotaractors are also rather uniformly represented, with Students ranging from 18 to 23 years while the young professionals ranging from 22 years onwards.